What qualifications should a Personal Trainer have?

13 May 2020 Alicia Turner
Read article

Like many professions, a period of study and a certain set of qualifications are required in order to be deemed fit to do the job.

In order to be a Personal Trainer you will have need to have obtained your Certificate IV in Fitness (SIS40215). Depending on your motivation, availability, where you study and the mode of study this may take you 10 weeks to 12 months.

It’s no secret that the fitness industry is a competitive industry, therefore you may see it as a good option to complete further study in order to stand out from the pack so to speak! By completing a Diploma of Fitness (SIS50215) you will be adding valuable knowledge to your skill set and client offering such as: further business development, leadership skills, forming successful relationships with allied health professionals and taking your exercise instruction and programming up a notch. To further your knowledge on exercise science and human movement you can complete Sports Science related degrees at university.

So you have studied and now have certificate stating you are a Personal Trainer – nice work! You now need to ask yourself, are you satisfied with your level of knowledge or do you wish to gain further insight on topics that you know your clients will benefit from?

A good way to broaden your knowledge is through short courses. There are short courses on just about any topic you can think of such as; equipment usage, specific clients, massage, business, nutrition and the list goes on. Before you jump into a short course you must consider your target market and what your clients would want or are there areas of opportunities for yourself to grow.

Currently there are two stand out trends within the industry that Personal Trainers are investing in and expanding their knowledge on: Nutrition and Group Training.

Many of your clients have come to you based on their need and interest to move more for whichever goal that have. Following up this will be questions based around what they should eat or have you write them a meal plan. It is highly important that you remain within your scope of practice and only offer advice based on what you are qualified for. Hence, the rise in Personal Trainers looking to complete nutrition based short courses or further education that gives them the scope to provide this service.

The rise in popularity of group training through the likes of F45 and outdoor bootcamp has seen a lot of Personal Trainers shift from one on one training to group based classes. In order to deliver these offerings you would need your Certificate III in Fitness (SIS30315). It would be then be in your favour to complete a short course on group-based training to master your skills in this area and build confidence in front of groups of people.

So there you have it, depending on what service you want to offer will determine the extent to which you are qualified as. Either way, you are stepping into an exciting industry that allows you to forever expand your knowledge based on your clients’ needs and your interests.

Alicia Turner

Alicia Turner

Senior Trainer & Assessor

Alicia holds her Certificate III & IV in Fitness, Diploma of Fitness, a Bachelor of Food Science and Human Nutrition and is currently completing her Master’s in Public Health.

Alicia has specialised in small group training for 8 years in both a corporate and outdoor training environments. She has been a mentor to many Personal Trainers starting out and lives and breathes the health and fitness industry.

Career in Fitness


Recent Posts